Sausage and Salami
Salami is a type of cured sausage consisting of fermented & air dried meat, mostly chicken, beef or pork. Sausages are fresh, raw, unaged, and have few preservatives. Sausage is made of ground meat which is combined with fat, flavorings, and preservatives, and then stuffed into a casing and twisted at intervals to make links.
COMPOSITION – #Sausage consist of force meat prepared with minced pork , poultry , veal and lamb.
CASINGS – The intestines of sheep , hog ,cattle according to their required diameter .
FORCE MEAT- Pork is used as a basic ingredients for force meat stuffing .Pork is minced , ground , chopped or diced into what is called ” Force Meat “. Every force meat had some binders such as rice , potatoes , panada ,fat , rusk , farina ( potato flour ) which holds the meat .
The composition of force meat is made up of 40% dominant flavour meat i.e chicken , meat , lambs . 30% pork meat – it gives flavour and moisture , 30% pork fat imparts tenderness .
In this mixture herbs , spices , nuts and seasonings are added .
TYPES OF SAUSAGE
Sausages are made from beef, veal, pork, lamb, poultry and wild game, or from any combination of these meats. Sausage making has become a unique blend of old procedures and new scientific, highly-mechanized processes. Traditionally, sausages was formed into a symmetrical shape, but it now can be found in a variety of shapes and sizes to meet consumers’ needs. Many sausage products are vacuum packed, freshness dated and 100% edible.
Sausages can be classified in a variety of ways, but probably the most useful is by how they are processed. Processing methods give sausages easily recognizable characteristics.
- Cooked Sausage: Made with fresh meats and then fully cooked. It is either eaten immediately after cooking or must be refrigerated and is usually reheated before eating. Examples include frankfurters, liver sausages , black pudding ,
- Fresh Sausage: Made from meats that have not been previously cured. These sausages must be refrigerated and thoroughly cooked before eating. Examples include Bokwurst , chipolatas sausage.
- Dry Sausage: Made from a selection of meats. These are the most complicated of all to make, as the drying process has to be carefully controlled. Once produced this type of sausages can be readily eaten, and will keep for very long periods under refrigeration. Examples include Salami’s and Mortadella .
Artificial casings are known as cellulosic casings .
- Chipolatas sausage -Long twisted sausages , made in very small sized casings . They are made of with pork meat. Pepper , salt ,pimentos , nutmeg , thyme and cayenne pepper .
- Mortadella -Italian large oval shape type of sausages , prepared with pork , beef , pork fat , garlic ,pistachios ,cardamom ,cloves , salt , pepper etc . This is filled in beef bladder and smoked .
- Salami -They are smoked and usually served sliced.